
Kong Lingjun
Duke Yansheng
Kong Lingyi (29 November 1872 - 8 November 1919), courtesy name Gusun, was born in Qufu, Shandong Province. He was the seventy-sixth generation direct grandson of Confucius and a native of Qufu in Shandong Province. He was a native of Qufu in Shandong Province. He was an accomplished poet, good at painting, and a skilled calligrapher. Kong Ling-yi was born on the 29th day of the 10th month of the 11th year of the Tongzhi reign (1872), at the age of four his father, Kong Xiang-ke, died. In 1877, she received her inheritance from the Diffractive Sheng Gong and was educated at the family school. In the fourteenth year (1888), he received an audience with the Guangxu Emperor and was rewarded with many awards. During his stay in Beijing, he married the daughter of Sun Yuben, the right minister of the Ministry of Revenue. In the fifteenth year (1889), he was appointed Minister of the Hanlin Academy and formally presided over the affairs of the Diffractive Sheng Gongfu. In 1892, he took charge of the school affairs of the Four Schools. In the same year, Kong Lingyi donated money to set up a primary school in each of the 16 societies in Qufu County, and a higher primary school in the city. In 1899, his first wife, Sun, died without having any children, and his concubine, Feng, also had no children. Kung Ling-yi later remarried Tao Wen-pu, daughter of Tao Shi-jun, in 1905, and they

had a son who died young at the age of three. In the spring of the thirty-third year (1907), he was ordered to inspect the school affairs in Shandong. On the 30th of April of the following year, he left his post to observe filial piety because of his mother's sorrow. After the outbreak of the Xinhai Revolution, the British Government instructed its Minister to China, Jules Verdun, to ‘discuss with the Minister of Japan the matter of installing Kong Houjue (Diffractive Sheng Gong), the grandson of Kong Zi, as the Emperor’, and the Japanese Minister to the Qing Dynasty, Hikaru Hikaru, Ijiyamasuin, reported the case to the Japanese Government, and the Japanese people advocated for the establishment of Kong Lingyi as the new Emperor. In February of the first year of the Republic of China (1912), he wrote a letter congratulating Yuan Shikai on his assumption of the office of Provisional President. In February 1912, Yuan Shikai wrote a letter to congratulate him on his assumption of the office of Provisional President. The following year (1913) Yuan Shikai assumed office as President, promulgated the ‘canonical regulations’, according to the old system by the direct descendants of Confucius hereditary Duke Diffractive Sheng; Diffractive Sheng Duke is still subject to the previous generation of honours, rituals, and awarded a first-class Jiaohe chapter, a first-class Da Shou Baoguang Jiaohe chapter. Republic of China four years (1915), Yuan Shikai plotted to restore the imperial system, Kong Lingyi actively involved in the activities of the Preparatory Committee. After Yuan's restoration, he was given the title of County King. In July 1917, when Puyi was restored to the throne, Kong Ling-yi sent a telegram of congratulations. In his middle age and childless, Kong Lingyi took Wang Baocui, Tao's personal maid, as his concubine. Wang gave birth to two daughters, De Qi and De Mao. In the eighth year of the Republic of China (1919), she travelled to Beijing to celebrate Puyi's birthday. Wang was pregnant for the third time, and in the autumn of the same year, when she went to Beijing again due to the death of her father-in-law, Tao Shijian, she suffered a bout of gangrene and died on 8 November (16th day of the ninth month of the lunar calendar) in the House of the Duke of Yan Sheng on Taibousi Street. Five months later, on 23rd February 1920 (the fourth day of the first month of the lunar calendar), his posthumous son Kong De Cheng was born. It was only on 7 January 1921 that Kong Ling-yi was officially buried. In 1898, an American missionary came to Qufu to set up a church at the ancient Panchi in the south-east corner of the city; the Kong clan was shocked at the news, and Kong Lingyi was furious when he learnt about it. On the one hand, Kong Lingyi wrote a letter to the imperial court together with Sun Guozhen, the governor of Qufu, stating that Qufu was the birthplace of Confucianism and that it was inappropriate for outsiders to set up a mission; on the other hand, he joined hands with the gentry and merchants of Qufu and raised funds to build a temple on the north bank of the ancient Panshi, in order to resist the construction of the church. In the end, the church was not built, and the status of the saint was preserved in form. However, the people of Qufu and even the tenant farmers of the Confucius House had begun to accept foreign religions. In 1904, the German Jiaoji Railway Company wanted to build a railway in Qufu, and when they surveyed the road beforehand, they planted trees and inserted markers in the sacrificial field of the Confucius Palace, which was only 50 feet away from the west wall of the Confucius Forest. When Zhang Dongmin, a hundred tenant of the temple, found out about this, he immediately reported to the Confucius Palace: ‘The yellow rice lease of the sacrificial field of the Zhisheng Temple was planted by the foreigners, who wanted to build a railway, and it came to Fangshang Village diagonally from the north-east. This village is surrounded by sacrificial fields and acres of land. In the village east of the yellow rice land, planted diagonally to the village south, straight to the top of the Surabaya River E, suddenly turned to the northwest, and diagonally from the yellow rice land, etc., to the humble servant, to the sacrifice of the acres of land is of great importance, it is not convenient to trespass, it is appropriate to prepare a paper to apply for details, and I am begging for Jennifer Gannon adults to identify and verify the implementation of the.’ Kong Ling-yi then went to the provincial capital to meet with the Governor of Shandong and the Minister of the Jinpu Railway, who put pressure on the German Rubber-Jacket Railway Company, forcing it to change its original route so that the railway line would be 10 miles away from the Sacred Grove, so as not to ‘shake the Holy Sepulchre’. Kong Ling-yi was rewarded with a sable coat for his efforts in protecting the Holy Sepulchre. The headmaster of the Second Shandong Provincial Teachers' Training School, Song Ruiwu, once said: ’When the former Jinpu Railway was being built, the original proposal was to take the city of Qufu as the station, but the Diffractive Sheng Gongfu, who were superstitious about fung shui, objected to the idea, and the railway line was diverted to Yao Village, 18 miles away from the city, which made it inconvenient for the merchants and the travellers. Tamed to the Qufu County town society, still maintains the state of the Middle Ages, can not be enlightened.’ It is believed that the railway has not been built, and the inconvenience of transportation has put Qufu in a semi-enlightened situation, unable to absorb modern civilisation, and stubbornly sticking to the old traditions.

The Imperial Guards of the Qing dynasty were a select detachment of Manchu and Mongol bannermen responsible for guarding the Forbidden City in Beijing, the emperor, and the emperor's family. For the majority of the dynasty's history, the Imperial Guards were divided into three groups: the Guard Corps, the Vanguard, and the Imperial Bodyguard. The original Imperial Guards units were mostly destroyed by foreign troops during the Boxer Rebellion in 1900. During the late Qing military reform in the following decade, the Qing government established a new imperial guard formation as a regular military unit, the size of a division, and its training was overseen by Yuan Shikai's Beiyang Army. The Qing imperial guards also practiced Shuai Jiao, a form of jacket wrestling. The Guard Corps was assigned to protect the imperial palace. Soldiers from the Manchu and Mongol banners would be admitted to serve in the unit. The Guard corps was about ten times the size of the Vanguard and Imperial Bodyguards, and was the largest formation of the Imperial Guards. The Vanguard corps was assigned to march ahead of the emperor when he left the palace. Soldiers from the Manchu and Mongol banners could join. The Vanguard consisted of about 1500 men. The Imperial Bodyguard corps was assigned to protect the emperor at all times. Only Manchu bannermen could join, and most members came from the upper three banners. Like the Vanguard, the Imperial Bodyguard consisted of about 1500 men.

The Duke Yansheng, literally "Honorable Overflowing with Wisdom", sometimes translated as Holy Duke of Yen, was a Chinese title of nobility. It was originally created as a marquis title in the Western Han dynasty for a direct descendant of Confucius. From the Western Han dynasty to the mid-Northern Song dynasty, the title underwent several changes in its name, before it was finally settled as "Duke Yansheng" in 1005 by Emperor Renzong of the Northern Song dynasty. Kong Zongyuan, a 46th-generation descendant of Confucius, became the first person to hold the title "Duke Yansheng". The dukes enjoyed privileges that other nobles were denied, such as the right to tax their domain in Qufu while being exempt from imperial taxes. Their dukedom had its own judicial system and the legal capacity to mete out capital punishment, although such sentences had to be ratified by the imperial court. The tombs of the Dukes Yansheng of the Ming and Qing dynasties are located at the Cemetery of Confucius in Qufu,
Shandong. Kong Qiu (551–479 BC), better known as Confucius, was a teacher, politician and philosopher of the State of Lu in the Spring and Autumn period of ancient China. He was a descendant of the royal family of the Shang dynasty (c. 1558–1046 BC) through the dukes of the State of Song (11th century – 286 BC). During the reign of Qin Shi Huang (r. 247–210 BC), the First Emperor of the Qin dynasty, Kong Fu, a ninth-generation descendant of Confucius, was awarded the title "Lord Wentong of Lu" and the appointment of shaofu. In 190 BC, Emperor Gao of the Han dynasty awarded the title "Lord Fengsi" ("Ceremonial Officer") to Kong Teng, Kong Fu's younger brother. During the reign of Emperor Yuan (r. 48–33 BC), Kong Ba, a 13th-generation descendant of Confucius, was granted the title "Lord Baocheng". In addition, the income gained from the 800 taxable households in Kong Ba's fief were used to finance the worshipping of Confucius. Kong Ba also instructed his eldest son, Kong Fu, to return to their ancestral home to serve as a ceremonial official to their ancestor. The title "Marquis Yinshaojia" was conferred on Kong Ji, 20 a 14th-generation di descendant of Confucius, by Emperor Cheng (r. 33–7 BC). The emperor also allowed Kong Ji to perform ritual sacrifices to Cheng Tang, the first king of the Shang dynasty, and granted him the èrwáng-sankè ceremonial privilege. During the reign of Emperor Ping (r. 1 BC – 6 AD), granted the title "Marquis Baocheng" to Kong Jun , a 16th-generation descendant of Confucius. Emperor Ming (r. 58–75 AD) awarded Kong Juan, an 18th-generation descendant of Confucius, the title "Marquis of Bao Village". Emperor An (r. 106–125 AD) gave the title "Marquis of Fengsheng Village" to Kong Yao, 24 a 19th-generation descendant of Confucius. The title of Duke of Song and "Duke Who Continues and Honours the Yin" were bestowed upon Kong An by the Eastern Han dynasty because he was part of the Shang dynasty's legacy. This branch of the Confucius family was a separate branch from the line that held the title of Marquis of Fengsheng village and later Duke Yansheng.
Awards: Sash and star of the Imperial Order of the Double Dragon (Shuanglóng Baoxing), Star of the Imperial Order of Saint Anna.
