top of page

Leopold

Prince of Salm-Salm

Nikolaus Leopold Joseph Maria Fürst zu Salm-Salm (18 July 1838 – 16 February 1908) was a German nobleman with an interest in natural history. He was the sixth prince of Salm-Salm from 1886 to 1908 and as Lord of Anholt he was a hereditary member of the Prussian House of Lords from 1888 to 1908. He built a park at his castle in Anholt, with a miniature Lake Lucerne. He controlled coal mining rights in the region. Leopold zu Salm-Salm was the eldest son of Prince Alfred Konstantin zu Salm-Salm and his wife, Princess Auguste Adelheid Emanuele Constanze von Croÿ (1815-1886), a daughter of Prince Ferdinand Victor Philippe von Croÿ (1791-1865). Leopold was scientifically educated. As an ornithologist, he observed the avifauna in his homeland, where the landscapes of the Lower Lower Rhine, the Westmünsterland and the Achterhoek meet in the Lower Rhine Lowlands. He recorded his observations from 1890 to 1908 and created a collection of bird bellows and stuffed birds. In addition, he collected shell mollusks, the housing of which he united in a considerable collection of conchylias. Due to their scientific importance, the prince's records and collections were transferred to the Westphalian Provincial Museum of Natural History in Münster after his death, the collection of shell mollusks, which had suffered greatly during the Second World War, only in 1963. The prince also 

showed interest in equestrian sports and horse breeding. So he was 1. Chairman of the "Horse Breeding Association of the Western Münsterland Bocholt e.V." founded on July 19, 1896. On July 12, 1893, Leopold married Princess Eleonore Leopoldine Aloysia von Croÿ (* May 13, 1855 in Dülmen; † May 27, 1903 in Berlin), the daughter of Prince Alexis Wilhelm Zephyrinus Victor von Croÿ (1825-1898) and Princess Franziska Maria Johanna Carolina Aloysia (1833-1908), a born a princess to Salm-Salm. The honeymoon led to Switzerland, where the prince developed the idea of equipping the Leopoldspark, which he had conceived and opened in 1892, with a Swiss-style chalet as a staffage. in 1900 he had the park extended. As the heir of the mountain shelf over the mineral resources of the former Principality of Salm, which was based on the provisions of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss of 1803 and the compensation of "deposited" imperial princes regulated therein on the left bank of the Rhine, Leopold zu Salm-Salm concluded a contract with the International Drilling Company, the predecessor of the Trier Mining Company, and the Stein Bank in 1898 for the drilling rights north of the Lippe. In honor of the prince, the hard coal mining company "Gewerkschaft Fürst Leopold", founded in 1906, and the Fürst Leopold mine, including its mining shafts, were named "Leopold I-III". A follow-up contract concluded with the Trier Mining Company on 17 August 1916 provided for the income of the princely House of Salm-Salm from the mining ten until the year 1930. When Leopold zu Salm-Salm died childless at the age of 69, his younger brother Alfred zu Salm-Salm succeeded him as the seventh prince zu Salm-Salm.

The 1st Lancers Regiment (1st Lancers) was a cavalry regiment of the Belgian army. “We, Charles Augustus, reigning Duke of Saxe-Weimar and Eisenach, commander-in-chief of the army of Brabant, charge and authorize: Count van der Burch to raise incessantly in the Netherlands a regiment of light cavalry for the service of the high Allied powers, and to have it sworn into the hands of the military government in Brussels. We also authorize him to consider himself as the Colonel of the new regiment to be formed, to choose its officers and to always take the necessary steps to ensure its prompt organization. Signed at the Headquarters in Brussels this February 13, 1814. Charles-Auguste”. This is the baptism certificate of this Light Horse Regiment "van der Burch", which sixteen and a half years later, would give birth to the 1st Lancers Regiment. Immediately, Count van der Burch forms his regiment in Brussels. On March 1, he issues the first certificates to his officers. The Chevau-Légers are the heirs of the dragoons de Ligne and Latour, an illustrious national cavalry regiment created in 1725 and called since 1806 Chevau-Léger de Vincent. It is in tribute to this glorious Belgian regiment that Count van der Burch gives the name of Chevau-Léger to his regiment. This regiment, famous throughout Europe, had fought one hundred and sixty-one battles, in the service of the Habsburg monarchy, since its creation. The Allies having decided on the formation of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the Belgian Legion was 

dissolved on September 1, 1814 and its regiments were constituted in the same way as the Dutch regiments. On June 1, 1815, this regiment took the name of Light Dragoons No. 5. Commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel de Mercx, he distinguished himself at the battles of Quatre-Bras and Waterloo against the Napoleonic armies. On October 5, 1820, the Regiment receives its Standard in Tournai, a city that, since 1780, was already the garrison town of the Light horse squadron of the Latour Dragoons. Ten years later, on October 24, 1830, the 1st lancers regiment was formed in Tervuren by decision of the provisional government. The Belgian elements of the 5th light dragoons and some elements of the 4th light dragoons and the 10th lancers are gathered to form the regiment. During the Ten-Day Campaign, he was integrated into the Army of the Scheldt and a detachment participated in the Battle of Bautersem. In 1870, during the Franco-Prussian war, the regiment was mobilized on a war footing and was integrated into the cavalry reserve of the observation army. In 1871, he took up residence in Namur. In August 1831, the Regiment became part of the Army of the Scheldt and took part in the Ten Days Campaign. A squadron of the 1st Lancers was attached to the vanguard which fought on August 11, the battle of Bautersem, during the march of the army of the Scheldt, from Louvain to Tirlemont. On August 12, three squadrons protected, from Bautersem to beyond Leuven, the retreat of this same army. It was in Mechelen that King Leopold I handed over, on January 3, 1832, the Etendard of the 1st Lancers Regiment to Colonel Charles-Ferdinand de THIERRY. In 1832 and 1833, the 1st Lancers cooperated in the service of the outposts established towards the Dutch border. In 1870, during the Franco-German war, the Regiment mobilized on war footing became part of the cavalry reserve of the observation army. In 1871, the danger passed, he garrisoned in Namur, a city that he had to leave only 43 years later to enter the campaign on August 1, 1914.

The Principality of Salm-Salm (German: Fürstentum Salm-Salm; French: Principauté de Salm-Salm) was a state of the Holy Roman Empire. It was located in the present-day French departments of Bas-Rhin and Vosges; it was one of a number of partitions of Salm. Salm-Salm was created as a partition of Salm-Dhaun in 1574, and was raised from a County to a Principality in 1739 after being inherited and renamed by Count Nicholas Leopold of Salm-Hoogstraten. Salm-Salm was partitioned between itself and Salm-Neuweiler in 1608. The last territorial partition occurred in 1751, when Salm-Salm reorganized its borders with the Duchy of Lorraine. Since 1743 the Princes were also Dukes of Hoogstraten. In 1790, after the French Revolution, the princes of Salm fled the territory and moved to their castle in Anholt, Westphalia. Salm-Salm then was besieged by the revolutionary army, which blocked food supplies from reaching the state. As a consequence, the population was forced to surrender to France. On 2 March 1793, the French National Convention declared Salm-Salm to be a part of the French Republic and attached it to the Department of the Vosges. This was 

recognized by the Holy Roman Empire in the Peace of Lunéville of 1801. Some years later, in 1802/1803, together with Salm-Kyrburg, the prince of Salm-Salm was granted new territories formerly belonging to the Bishops of Münster (Westphalia). The new territory was governed in union with Salm-Kyrburg and was known as the Principality of Salm.

Awards: Sash and star of the Royal Order of the Crown (Königlicher Kronen-Orden), Insignia and star of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.

bottom of page